This English version is a translation of the Japanese version, and is provided for reference only.
In case of discrepancy between the Japanese and English versions, the Japanese version shall prevail and be treated as the correct version.
Terms of Participation in GakuNin RDM Validation Test (Version 2, 15 April 2019)
Article 1 (Purpose)
The purpose of these terms is to stipulate the requirements for participation in the validation test of ‘Research Data Management Service: GakuNin RDM’ (hereinafter called ‘GakuNin RDM’), which is maintained by the Research Center for Open Science and Data Platform, National Institute of Informatics (hereinafter called ‘the Research Center’), Research Organization of Information and Systems (hereinafter called ‘the Research Organization’).
Article 2 (Eligibility for Participation)
An eligible participant in the GakuNin Validation Test (hereinafter called ‘the Participant’) is an organization or a part of an organization that qualifies under any of the following items.
- A university, junior college, technical college, professional institute or inter-university research institute
- An organization that cooperates with the Research Center’s projects
- A research organization and independent administrative agency (独⽴⾏政法⼈) or special administrative cooperation (特殊法⼈), whose purpose is to conduct or support research activities
- An organization that jointly conducts research with an organization stipulated in the preceding item ‘3’.
- A learned society and, charitable organization (公益財団) and incorporated association (社団法⼈), general incorporation association (⼀般財団) and incorporated association, and other educational establishments that are equivalent to a university, whose purpose is to conduct academic research
- Other organizations that the Center Director of the Research Center for Open Science and Data Platform, National Institute of Informatics (hereinafter called ‘the Center Director’), approves as appropriate.
Article 3 (Application for Participation)
An entity wishing to participate shall submit the designated application form to the Center Director.
Article 4 (Approval of Participation)
The Center Director shall approve the application stipulated in the preceding article, if it is found to be eligible.
Article 5 (Withdrawal from Participation)
The Participant wishing to withdraw must inform the Center Director promptly.
Article 6 (Compliance)
The Participant must be compliant with the following items:
- Do not use GakuNin RDM for purposes other than research and their supports
- Do not violate the privacy of communications
- Do not use in ways that may interfere with the operation of GakuNin RDM
- Do not engage in misconduct against GakuNin RDM
- Do not engage in conduct that may harm the interest of a third party
- Other matters that the Center Director specifies separately
Article 7 (Cancellation of Participation)
The Center Director may cancel the approval of participation if the Participant is found to have violated the preceding article.
Article 8 (Investigation and Cooperation)
The Center Director may ask the Participant to investigate and cooperate on the collection of information such as the usage information of GakuNin RDM, operational status, incident response information, and information about misconducts.
Article 9 (Suspension of Services)
The Research Center may temporarily suspend the GakuNin RDM services when inevitable events occur in emergencies that apply to one of the following items. The Research Center shall notify the Participant of the temporary suspension as soon as possible.
- At the time of maintenance
- When it becomes difficult to provide GakuNin RDM due to force majeure including disasters
- When it becomes difficult to provide GakuNin RDM for reasons attributable to telecommunications carriers
Article 10 (Bearing of Costs)
The Participant shall bear the costs incurred on its side in relation to participating in GakuNin RDM Validation Test.
Article 11 (Handling of Usage Information)
The Research Center may, with regards to the information obtained and retained in the course of its operation of GakuNin RDM, use, modify or manipulate data in any other ways for the purpose of supporting its operation or conducting research.
2. The Research Center may, according to the preceding paragraph, disclose or publish obtained research results and usage information of GakuNin RDM, provided that it pays attention to processing the data in ways that the entity of the usage information of GakuNin RDM, or its attributed individual or organization cannot be identified.
Article 12 (Liabilities of Participants)
The conduct of a user shall be regarded as the whole responsibility of the user’s affiliating organization.
2. If the Participant, in accordance with the use of GakuNin RDM, causes damage to a third party due to grounds attributable to it, it shall resolve the case by itself by recompensing for the damage immediately.
Article 13 (The Research Center’s Exclusion of Liability)
The Research Center assumes no responsibility in cases falling under any of the following items.
- The matters such as dispute and damage incurred to the Participant in accordance with the use of GakuNin RDM
- The matters such as damage incurred to the Participant due to the temporary suspension or change in the specifications of GakuNin RDM
Article 14 (Scope of Application)
These terms shall be applicable to ‘Research Data Management Services <GakuNin RDM> Validation Test’, which is operated from January 2019 to the end of September 2020.
Article 15 (Miscellaneous)
In addition to these terms, other matters required for participating in GakuNin RDM Validation Test shall be specified separately.