This English version is a translation of the Japanese version, and is provided for reference only.
In case of discrepancy between the Japanese and English versions, the Japanese version shall prevail and be treated as the correct version.
Article 1 (Privacy Information)
Among privacy information, the term ‘personal data’ refers to ‘personal data’ as mentioned in Act on the Protection of Personal Information, and means that it is the information about a living individual who can be identified as a specific individual by name, date of birth, address, telephone number, affiliation, contact and other descriptions contained in such information.
Among privacy information, the term ‘history information and attribute information’ refers to information other than ‘personal data’ specified above, and means that it is the information about the history of the services used or pages viewed, keywords searched by a user, time and date of use, usage method, usage environment, postal code, sex, occupation, age, user’s IP address, cookie data, location data, individual identification data of a terminal.
Article 2 (Method of Collecting Privacy Information)
The Research Center may ask for personal information such as name, affiliation, address, telephone number, and email address when a user registers to the services.
When a user uses the Research Center’s services or views its page, the Research Center shall collect history information and attribute information about the user such as the services and software used, history of viewed pages, search keywords searched, time and date of use, usage method, usage environment (including the communication status of the mobile computer used, and the information on various settings at the time of use), IP address, cookie data, location data, individual identification data of the terminal.
Article 3 (Purposes of Collecting and Using Personal Data)
The Research Center’s purposes of collecting and using personal data are as follows:
- For the purpose of displaying the registration information such as name, affiliation, address and contact and the information on the services used so that the users can browse and modify their registration information and browse their usage
- For the purpose of using the contact information such as name and address in order to inform the users about using their e-mail addresses for notification and communication as required
- For the purpose of using the information such as name, affiliation, date of birth, address, telephone number and delivery result of certified mail in order to prove the identity of the users
- For the purposes of displaying the information registered to the Research Center on the input screen so that the users can enter their data easily and quickly, and forwarding it to other services (including the ones provided by partners) as instructed by the users
- For the purpose of using the information required for the Research Center to provide its services to the users such as the contents of inquiries, usage status of the services by the users and contact information so that the Research Center can handle the users’ inquiries
- For the purposes that are associated with the purposes of use prescribed above
Article 4 (Provision of Personal Data to Third Parties)
The Research Center shall not provide personal data to third parties without the consent of the user in advance except in the cases listed below. This, however, saves to the extent that is accepted by the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and other laws and regulations.
- Cases based on laws and regulations
- Cases that is necessary for the protection of life, body and assets, and besides it is difficult to obtain the consent of the user
- Cases that is necessary for the improvement of public health and promotion of healthy development of children, and besides it is difficult to obtain the consent of the user
- Cases in which a national agency, local authority or those who received a commission from them requests us to cooperate in order to execute operations set forth in laws and regulations, and besides it may interfere with the execution of the said operations by obtaining the consent of the user
Notwithstanding the conditions of the preceding paragraph, the cases listed below shall not be deemed to be a third party.
- Cases in which the Research Center commissions the handling of all or part of personal data to a particular business operator, to the extent that is necessary to achieve the purposes of use
- Cases in which personal data is provided in association with a merger or business succession for any other reasons
- Cases in which the Research Center uses personal data in cooperation with a particular business operator, with which it signed the confidentiality agreement, for the purposes of the research development for the improvement of its academic information infrastructure services or proving the user supports
Article 5 (Disclosure of Personal Data)
The Research Center shall disclose personal data to a person when it was requested by the said person. It may not, however, disclose all or part of the data in cases listed below. When it decides not to disclose data, it shall inform the person accordingly.
- Cases in which disclosure may harm the life, body, property, or other rights or interests of the person or a third party
- Cases in which disclosure may seriously hinder the appropriate implementation of the Research Center’s operations
- Cases that violate other laws and regulations
Notwithstanding the conditions of the preceding paragraph, the Research Center shall not disclose the information other than personal data such as history information and attribute information.
Article 6 (Rectification and Deletion of Personal Data)
In the cases in which the personal data of a user held by the Research Center is incorrect information, the user may, according to the procedure set up by the Research Center, request the Research Center to rectify or delete the personal data.
If the Research Center deems it necessary to meet the user’s request prescribed in the preceding paragraph upon receipt of the user’s request, it shall rectify or delete the said personal data without delay, and inform the user accordingly.
Article 7 (Suspension of Use of Personal Data, etc.)
If a person requests the Research Center to suspend or delete personal data (hereinafter called ‘suspension of use, etc.’) for the reasons that it is used beyond the scope of its purposes of use or that it is obtained by an unjust means, the Research Center shall conduct necessary investigation without delay and, based on its results, carry out the suspension of use, etc., and inform the person accordingly. The Research Center shall, however, take an alternative means, if it incurs a considerable expense to carry out the suspension of use, etc. of the personal data and it is difficult to carry out the suspension of use, etc., and besides it is possible to take an alternative means in order to protect the rights and interests of the person.
Article 9 (Contact Details)
For inquiries regarding the Policy, please contact us as follows:
Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 101-8430
Institutional Name: The National Institute of Informatics (NII), Research Organization of Information and Systems, Inter-University Research Institute Corporation
Department in Charge: Research Center for Open Science and Data Platform (RCOS)
Email address: rcos-office (at) nii.ac.jp