- What kind of services does GakuNin RDM provide?
GakuNin RDM is a web service for researchers to manage their research data (e.g. articles, experimental/survey data, programs, images/sounds/video data). You can store your files in storages easily using drag-and-drop on the web browser, and share your data within your research team or with co-researchers in a closed environment.
- Who provides the service?
GakuNin RDM is a service operated by the National Institute of Informatics. This service is currently at the validation test phase and aiming to start real operation in 2020.
- Is this service free?
The free services GakuNin RDM offers include the basic functions of research management services and a certain amount of standard storage.
- Can anyone use the service?
GakuNin RDM is available to any researchers and graduate students who are affiliated with the GakuNin member institutions.
- Is it compatible with smart phones and tablets?
GakuNin RDM supports the web browsers for smart phones and tablets.
- Is there a homepage where I can learn more about GakuNin RDM?
For details, please refer to the section on the research data management service (GakuNin RDM) within the homepage of the Research Center for Open Science and Data Platform (RCOS), National Institute of Informatics (NII).
- What should I do if I want to try GakuNin RDM?
Please contact the Research Center for Open Science and Data Platform (RCOS), National Institute of Informatics, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will reply to you as soon as possible.
- Do I need an account on my institution’s GakuNin IdP?
When you use GakuNin RDM, you will need an account on one of the GakuNin member institutions’ IdPs. If your institution is not a GakuNin federation member, they need to consider joining GakuNin before implementing GakuNin RDM.
- What kind of storages can I use?
GakuNin RDM offers a standard storage as well as extra storage, which can be used by linking to the storage of your affiliated institution.
- What is the standard storage?
It is a cloud storage service that you can use within GakuNin RDM.
- Is there any restriction on the capacity of the standard storage that I can use?
The restrictions on the standard storage of GakuNin RDM are up to 100GB per user and up to 5GB per file.
- Can I link to the object storage of my affiliated institution?
GakuNin RDM can be linked to object storages provided by major providers and those on on-premise servers of the member institutions.
- Will a file be published on the Web when I upload it on the storage?
GakuNin RDM does not publish your data.
- Can I control my file versions on the storage?
You can control versions of the files you uploaded on GakuNin RDM.
Linking to Repositories
- What kind of repositories can I link to?
GakuNin RDM links to the research data publishing platform (WEKO) and allows you to register your data to repositories.
- How do I register data to a repository from GakuNin RDM?
By using the GakuNin RDM’s repository add-on, just as our storage service, you can drag-and-drop research data and register it to a repository.
Linking to Research Software
- What kind of research software can I link to?
As GakuNin RDM’s add-ons, you can link to source code repositories, document management tools, figure and table sharing services, data analysis platforms, workflow engines, etc.
- How can I link to disciplinary repositories and web services?
GakuNin RDM provides its source code as open source software. You can develop unique functions as add-ons. We will proactively import add-ons that are in demand and versatile.
- When a user handled a file, is it possible to check its logs?
GakuNin RDM manages the logs such as registration, editing and deletion of the research data files uploaded. It is effective in preventing research misconducts to manage research trails.
GakuNin RDM User Support Site